Watch DOG Volunteer Expectations: (pdf)
As a Watch D.O.G. dad you will work with and interact with students throughout the school day. Because you will be a role model for our students, it is important that you understand the expectations we have for you while you are with us.
1) Set a good example with your words and your actions:
- Use appropriate language.
- Madison Place School and property is tobacco, alcohol and drug-free.
2) For our students' safety as well as your liability, please keep the following in mind:
- Always wear Watch D.O.G. dad identification.
- Never put yourself in a position in which you are alone with a child. When working with a student or students, always work with them in an open area easily supervised by school staff. Classrooms, grade level pods and hallways are appropriate places to work with students.
- Do not use the student restrooms. Public restrooms are available for the visitors to our school. These are located in the front hallway between the gymnasium and the cafeteria.
- Discuss age -appropriate topics.
- Refrain from inappropriately touching students.
- Refrain from disciplining students. Behaviors needing discipline should be directed to the appropriate teacher or staff member.
3) Interaction between our Watch D.O.G. dads and our students is a key part of what makes this program so effective. However, it is important that you interact with our students at appropriate times. Please do not interrupt the instruction that is being delivered in our classrooms. Upon arriving at a classroom assignment, enter the classroom and wait for the teacher to give you directions about what he or she would like for you to do. Consider the following locations and times as great places to interact with our students:
- the cafeteria - during lunchtime
- the playground - during recess
- grade level pods - when working with individual or small groups of students